Monday 4 March 2013

Desperately needing purpose

So what does every missionary face?
Isolation. Boredom. Regret.
There's always that one lengthy chapter during your time overseas where you just think 'Why did I come here?' There is something Super-Dangerous about missionaries getting bored.
You're not supposed to get bored. You're a missionary.
And yet, there are those days when your ministry doesn't do enough, your African town lays in silent heat,  your family at home seems farther away than ever, and the sacrifices you've made generally outweigh the good that's come out of them.
I'm writing this to say hooooold ooooooon! Just in case there are any new missionaries somewhere reading this - every missionary family goes through this. You didn't come to Africa to be bored!
But consider the hours of work you are in the middle of; you are much closer to the world you wanted to be in than you were in your own First-World country. You live here completely now, digest the depths of it, taste, feel and see it every day. Down-time is fine. Finding entertainment is fine. Building relationships is essential ... and essentially takes a long time.
I'm reminded of this when I think about our trip to the United States coming up - re-entry to the States, then coming back here is kind of like starting the cycle over again. And right now, before we pack up our material things, our family has to wrap up our place here - Youth Group, the worship team, my dance group, to name a few things I'm involved in. I've been going through it all, trying to get used to the thought of separation from all these people ... but the greatest question, when I look at all of this is, 'How do I ever get bored?' How do I? But I have. And I've felt worthless - that feeling in the pit of your gut when you desperately need purpose.
And it comes, I guess - whether you welcome it or not. It's here. Still there's an odd-sort of relief that I just felt - it's possible to be  involved, purpose-driven or passionate and still wonder if you're doing anything in life.

Shut out the voices in your head - you're right where God planned you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10