Thursday 27 September 2012

Dance

I'm so nervous.

Today, my dancing dancers are dancing! I hate it when I prepare and prepare, I choreograph and teach, correct, smooth it out and then the day comes - it's been a very long time since one of my groups has actually performed. So today is like coming back from the dead - it feels like it too. There's a world of concerns waking up, memories coming back and I feel like I just woke up in the middle of all of it.

I think this is something that every dance teacher faces. The butterflies are much bigger when your students are on the stage than actually being up there - you are responsible for what happens, but in a way you have no control over it. One of them could stop and do the chicken dance in the middle of the song. I don't think that's going to happen, but the tiny mistakes that I correct everyday could decide to come out in all ten of them at once and then we'd face chaos on the stage. In front of at least a hundred people.

Should you come tonight, I will be the lunatic in the front waving my arms and screaming for the music to stop.

The thing is, I love picking the perfect song, choreographing, dancing it out. I even like teaching them sometimes. But my expectations for the kids are always high and I find, after a few weeks, that they cannot do everything that I can. Then, about 3/4 of the way through teaching the dance, I realize that, sooner or later, lots and lots of people are going to have to see our work. Oooooh, shoot ...

It's time to man up a little. I consider this my mission, even my dream! Thinking of the ten kids going up tonight, I'm sure they're nervous too. I might not be a missionary (just a missionary kid), but maybe it will be my four minute ministry to remind them to worship while they dance, then I'll sit in the front row, trust them and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10