Thursday 25 April 2013

My Adventures in Africa

So, I've been nifty lately. I wanted to share it here, just because it's something missionaries kinda have to be.

So technically, you don't have to be creative or efficient to be a missionary, but the veterans who have experienced the rougher parts of the mission field know how frequently you have to get out of your own comfort zone.

So I am going to set aside statistics, prayer requests and preaching. Today, I'm going to kind of brag on my skills give a typical, likeable, artistic kind of blog post (like normal people).

May I first mention ... ? As far as clothing goes, I'm generally working with several-years-old stuff. I'm completely content with what I have - that is not where this is going. I just want to show my readers that you can have fun with just about whatever you have!

FIRST STOP. An outfit I wore a couple weeks ago - it was fun and incredibly comfortable. Not to mention; in Africa, the days are always hot. This time of year (*winter*) the nights actually get fairly cold. I recommend you wear layers or something you can change into/ out of pretty fast, should you come visit Africa, 'cause the temperature can drop 50 degrees in a matter of hours (fahrenheit, of course). SO. Exhibit A.



 
 

Scarf: Gift, two years old   Tank top: Hand-me-down, age unknown    Shorts: Old jeans, hand-me-down from a friend (I cut them off a few months ago), age unknown     Jacket: Hand-me-down (from a music teacher!) ALSO age unknown.     Mocha Knitted Tights: My mom found them at Mr. Price (Clothing Store from South Africa)  for R10 (U.S. 1.25)! One year old, sooooo comfortable.    I wore all of this with my sisters dark brown boots  - also found at Mr. Price for R10!
 
SO. The above outfit was interesting and pretty, but comfortable enough to wear all day. I subtracted the tights and jacket for a while to teach my dance class, which went pretty smoothly, then put the warm stuff on again before I went out. Next, my sis and I went to a friend's house for small party that evening ... and my clothes scored some friendly compliments. Really, what is better than an outfit that is comfortable, beats the cold (or midday heat) , and looks pretty great? (+ Bonus points for being reasonably modest.)
 
 
Exhibit B:
 
 
 Shirt: Actually my mothers, roughly two years old    Necklace: Gift sent in a care package! Almost three years old.
Jeans:  I can't even remember where they came from, but they are old, worn and stretched. A few months ago, I sewed them so that they at least fit me again.  I think they must be about four years old.
Boots: The above mentioned boots, belonging to my sister. Not very old at all. Once again, R10 (U.S.) for a pair of boots!
This was Easter morning in my bedroom before church - that is a breakfast burrito in my hand (homemade tortilla, egg and tomato). That turned out to be a very happy and memorable day with my family (and my closest friends)!

I cannot explain how comfortable this outfit is. I feel so feminine in it! Comfort first though. The material is light enough for Spring weather, but it shuts out the cold morning pretty well. (Hmmm ... could trade the necklace out for the brown scarf next time.)   

  Black Top: Gift, two years old, cuffs rolled up    Necklace: Christmas gift, four months old (a favorite piece of mine!)      Blue jeans (high waist): Hand-me-down, age unknown - Like most jeans, they were far too long for me (noticed the denim in both of the outfits above have been modified) so I rolled the ends up.
 
That's all for now, folks! Thanks for reading (and bearing through the various photos I've bombed with the Kailey-face)! I hope it's been somewhat inspiring, regardless of where you live in the world - you can be comfortable, modest and feel beautiful without shopping for anything new!


No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10