Sunday 1 July 2012

Interview with Beth

Saturday I had the privelege of Skyping with a woman who grew up as a missionary kid in Africa - first in South Africa, briefly in Swaziland, then the rest of her childhood Maputo, the capital of Mozambique. She now lives in Quincy, Massachusetts and makes her living as an artist, often painting old memories of her life in Africa. She has quite a story to tell and one that I can relate to. Plus, I can say from experience, she is a lot of fun to converse with. Here is what came of our conversation:

 Me: So what was your parents ministry?

Beth: My mom originally was a nurse/midwife (when she was a single missionary). She isn't a registered nurse anymore, but she is the school nurse and teaches literacy, sewing, and baking. She does book-keeping, runs a small school store/book store and maintains a guest house on the Bible College campus. My Dad is a seminary professor and academic dean, he served in this capacity at a Bible College in South Africa (where we lived when I was little) and continues to do that in Mozambique now.

Me:  Wow, that's a long time!

Beth: yep! we first went over in 1985!

Me:  Were you able to ever be involved in their ministry?

  Beth: I think I was, maybe in indirect ways, but my siblings and I befriended the students and especially their kids, we participated in all activities on the campus, went to Bible studies and services...  I helped out a lot with preparing meals for groups that came from the US to do building projects on the campus. I think ministry was just a lifestyle, really. I did go back for a year as a volunteer missionary in 2002/03 and set up the library at the Bible College, so that was perhaps a much more direct means of helping in that ministry

Me: With all your parents did it sounds like it would be difficult to help directly! Yes, though, ministry is definitely a life style.

Beth: As a small child in South Africa, I'd go with my Dad to take supplies to refugee camps for people fleeing the civil war in Mozambique. I thought I was helping, but I'm sure I just got in the way, ha!

Me: From what I've heard already, you spent practically your whole childhood in Africa ... a lot of missionary kids move later in their life and then struggle to make friends. So I guess what I'm asking is ... did you ever struggle making cross-cultural friends?

Beth: not really.... at least not at first. When you are really little, you don't need language much to play with other kids. In South Africa, my siblings and I were the only white kids for miles around and we didn't notice...there was a gang of us (maybe 10 or so) and we'd do all sorts of things (there was no TV or internet back then, so we'd roam the bush...it was an amazing childhood), but coming to America (when I was 10 and then again at age 14) was really tough. Then when we moved to Mozambique, (I was 12 then) that was hard-- we moved from countryside (bush) to the middle of a big city. It was just after the civil war and I couldn't speak Portuguese (the official language) and I couldn't really run around and play with kids like I used to, because being out in the city wasn't safe (the war had just ended). The local pastor noticed we three kids were isolated and told one of the church members to send her kids over.  they came every day -- we couldn't understand each other, but they were stubborn. I gradually learned Portuguese and some Shangaan. My brother (who was born there) spoke it before he learned English! I speak Portuguese pretty fluently now … funny enough, I learned Zulu here in America through my work! (God gave me one of the desires of me heart!)

Me: Four languages! Fluent in two. I guess that's easier to do when you're younger! Speaking of African languages, I've heard of missionaries earning African nicknames ... something I've always wanted but never really got. Do you have one?

Beth: My sister and I were given names when we were born by a Swazi nurse who had worked with my Mom. Mine is: Khanyisile, "Has brought light" My sister's is Zanele "No More" (because, the nurse said, "2 girls are enough") My brother was named by another nurse in South Africa: Bongani'Nkosi "Praise the Lord" (because my parents had a boy!)

 Me: oh THAT'S what Nkosi means. I've heard that word before. I guess that’s because it's in the South African national anthem. The closest I've come to as a nickname is 'Oasie' (Afrikaans name for the oldest sister). I don't think the Namibians really give out nicknames like they do in other countries.

Beth: I was often referred to as "Mana Beth"  (Mana is sister)

Me: so were there any other mk's in your area?

Beth: there weren't any in South Africa much...we had MK friends but we didn't see them often. When we were in Swaziland (for 18 months) there was a family that had 2 kids and we did homeschooling together. Then in Mozambique there were none for the first few years (that we knew of). In 1996, a Christian school opened and we went there - by then there were more missionaries in Mozambique and we met other MKs at the school. we almost all still keep in touch, years later.

Me: That must be nice. It's really nice to be in contact with other TCK’s.

Beth: They understand you like no one else can!

Me: So in the capital city in Mozambique you weren't in contact with other mk's for a while? I'm surprised there weren't a lot since it was the capital city.

Beth: There were a few but in the early days, just after the civil war, it wasn't really safe yet. I remember meeting one German gal … we later became really, really good friends. [At first] it was pretty isolating...to be in the middle of a big, crowded city and cut off because of the language.

Me: That sounds very difficult. There weren’t many people who spoke English?

Beth: No, not many at all, but a big help was that my Mozambican friend, Joinha, helped me learn Portuguese … and I got involved with the youth group/choir in the church. Once I knew the language, it didn't matter that I was the only white gal.

Me: yes, once you speak the same language and feel acceptance, culture and color don't make the slightest difference.

Beth: exactly!

Me: Our family gets care packages sometimes from people in the United States. Did you get any when you were there?

Beth: We did. I remember one Christmas in Mozambique (maybe in ‘93?) my parents really didn't know what they were going to do for presents for us...they didn't have anything. A couple of care packages were sent that had Christmas presents for us … there were presents suited for just each of us! It was pretty amazing. But sometimes we'd get other [packages] with things like chocolate chips and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix .... oh, and cake mixes! Things you used to not be able to get over there. We treasured those things!

Me: last question: you told me once about leaving for America. How old were you when you moved back to the States?

Beth: We had two furloughs back to the States when I was a kid; when I was 10, then when I was 14. Then at age 18, I came back to go to college.

Me: in a few words, could you describe what that was like?

Beth: I think it was THE hardest thing I've had to do so far in my life. I do think it was the first time I realized I could not rely on my parents' faith, it was just me and God now … and He helped me. It was horrible culture shock...I didn't know how to write a check, I had never used an ATM machine or worked a job, I had never used voice mail … seeing blondes, redheads and brunettes ...so many [differently] colored people in the college caf was overwhelming -- I was used to being around all black people. The  first year I withdrew into myself... I wanted to reach out, but didn't know how. I went back to Africa that summer and dreaded returning, but when it came time to go back, I felt God's presence in such a real way...it wasn't so hard after all. I had to surrender my love of Africa over to God... my priorities were out of whack. When I surrendered all of that to Him, He did some pretty amazing things! I still miss it and often question why I am here in the US still, but I believe God does want me here for now so am just trusting Him for the next step.

Me: Quite a story. :) I'm a little nervous about going back in about two years.

Beth: it's very normal! It will be tough at first, but it does get easier.So do you speak Afrikaans pretty well? I always wanted to learn it. All I can do is say a few phrases and count to twenty and sing 1 song!

Me: yes, I think I'm fluent, but I don't get enough practice because a lot of people laugh when I speak Afrikaans ... therefore my accent is bad. I understand practically everything, but my pronunciation is very poor. (Not everyone laughs ... )

Beth: Aww... that was how I was with Portuguese for a long time...but I got there, so keep it up!

Me:  So is there any other advice you have for mk's ... or anyone reading my blog? Anything you want.

Beth: To sum everything up... I guess I have learned that the most important thing is to surrender your hopes and dreams to God. I thought I had my life planned out and that I knew best, but I was just miserable. As soon as I handed everything over to God, it allowed Him to work and He has done amazing things and gave me some of the desires of my heart. It's still not easy, but I am trusting Him for the next step. I hope others can be encouraged by that...

Me: Thanks! that means a lot. I have to go now ... thank you VERY much for talking - I hope we can chat again sometime!

Beth: I love chatting with other MKs and if I can be any help, just let me know! :)

Me: Sure! sometime we can just trade stories. =)



No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10